Tuning Advice

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:21:40 GMT

we are currently running Oracle 8.0.4.3.1 on AIX 4.2.1, as a back-end to a Remedy Help Desk installation. I have been reviewing some of the Oracle tuning parameters, and have a few questions I was hoping somebody could assist with.

Currently I have 128 MB of physical memory allocated to the shared_pool. I am only seeing hit ratios of 50% - 60% in the SQL AREA of the library cache. The other areas of the library cache, such as TABLE/PROCED, are showing hit ratios of around 99%, as is the Dictionary Cache. This leads to me to believe there may be a factor or factors other than the shared_pool_size that may need tweaking. My reloads are around 3%.

Also, my logical hitratio (logical reads / (logical reads + physical reads)) is running around 88%. Will increasing the shared_pool_area help this?

Finally, I seem to have a relatively high number of dirty buffers and low number of free buffers, so I am evaluating the impact of adding additional DB Buffers. Will increasing the number of db buffers help either of the situations above?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Roy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 11:21:40 CDT