Re: Partion Tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:42:11 +0100

  1. Yes, the partitioned table has to contain the column on which the partition is defined

Since this not the answered you wanted for the first question I suspect it makes the other two somewhat meaningless

In general apart from joining two partitioned tables which are partitioned identically the optimiser will not automatically pick the correct partition to join to - if it can infer that only one target partition is relevant it will probe each partition in turn until it finds the right one - but with a lot of partitions this could be expensive.

There are sundry ways to address the
SKU moving across hierarchy problem,
best bet is to refer to one of the classic texts.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk