Partion Tables

From: Tim & Mary Seyfried <tim_mary_seyfried_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:36:16 -0400

I am a technical lead at Fort James Corperation and building a very large Data Warehouse.

I am looking at the possibility of using partioning to improve performance.

I have two tables:

Product                                   Fact_table
Product_group                        Fact
Business_segment

I would like to partition the fact table by business_segment

I have the following questions

  1. Does business_segment have to be a field maintained in the fact_table?
  2. Will oracle figure out what partition to go to if my front end product express ram formulates the following query: select a.product_group, sum(fact) from product a, fact_table b where a.product group = 'AAAA' group by a.product group
  3. What will need to happen if a sku changes business_segments