Re: ORA-12500:TNS:Listener failed to start a dedicated server process

From: <qlos_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:24:16 GMT

In article <7rir0t$aqq$1_at_news3.Belgium.EU.net>,   "Andy Geraerts" <angeraer_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to make a connection with SQL Plus 8.0 / ODBC to my
Oracle
> database. We're using SAP on Oracle. Since I only acccess Oracle
through the
> SAP interface I've almost zero knowledge about Oracle. I've installed
the
> Client software of Oracle and created an alias using SQL Net Easy
> configurator. I've tested it with TNSPING. This results positive...
> When I try to connect I always get the following error :
> ORA-12500:TNS:Listener failed to start a dedicated server process.
>
> Anyone an idea?

I've already experienced the same problem. Check your kernel configuration. There is a parameter pointing to the max number of OS processes per user. I believe on HP it's called maxuprc. Hope it'll help

Qlos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 06:24:16 CDT