NLS Support for Korean

From: <tkp_at_chn.cts-corp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 05:19:02 GMT

We presently have an oracle database instance with the database characterset as (CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1).

        But Now we have to migrate our database to a KOREAN representation which is a multibyte (2 bytes per character) . We tried by creating the database with the following database character and national character set configuration : CHARACTER SET as KO16KSC5601 and NATIONAL CHARACTER SET as KO16KSC5601 .

In the initialization parameter file , we set the NLS_LANGUAGE = KOREAN ,and NLS_TERRITORY = KOREA

In the SQL plus session through KOREAN WINDOWS SYSTEM , with this setup , We tried manipulating values for the given table structure with DEFINE NLS_LANG = KOREAN_KOREA.KO16KSC5601 .         When we try to INSERT korean string composed of two characters into a table having a column of datatype CHAR(2), it is giving an error message "ORA - 01401 Inserted Value too large for a column" .

        So could you please give any better solution , where I need not have to undergo changes in the existing database design .

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 00:19:02 CDT