Re: Temporary Table Space Abuse

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:21:52 -0400

Ben,

Why should it be a lot of administration? All you need is one ALTER USER statement for each user. Maybe you can simulate automatic balancing on several disks by having several datafiles in your common temporary tablespace. But I would rather bind a tablespace "statically" to a user, making sure that all sorting goes to an intended disk.

I think that there's going to be contention if many users create tempsegs in one actual datafile.

We do use multiple temporary tablespaces, but they were created basing on theoretical assumptions, rather than because we had had problems. To All: Maybe someone else experienced contention and had to change temporary tablespace assignment?

Regards,
Karen.