Re: How to rename a column name?

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:02:55 -0400

I think Oracle does not support changing of column names because it does not record column dependencies. You may change the column names directly in sys.col$ but ensure that no view or stored procedure references the changed column(s). After the change flush the shared pool or even reboot the server.

I would not do it in any mission critical or production database, unless it is extremely necessary. And if you do, dont tell it to Oracle Support, they will reference it for every other problem you have.

Regards,
Karen Abgarian.