Re: HELP: RAID-5 Killing Performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:49:27 +0100

There are supposed to be some operating systems where the call to time() has a significant cost, but on Unix boxes it seems to be very cheap.

The worst overhead I ever saw was about 10%, but this was on a totally abysmal application that did everything with single row fetches - and then did literally millions of fetches.

On most systems that I have seen the overhead appeared to be less than 1%.

My theory is this:

    If the overhead is enough to make you worried,     you need to tune the database. If you need to     tune the database you need to have timed_stats     on. If you don't need to tune the database you     can afford to have it timed_stats on anyway.

There's a famous law of human behaviour that sounds similar, but I can't remember which it is.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk