Re: Temporary Table Space Abuse

From: Ben Ryan <benryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:20:29 GMT

In article <37DE6278.CDB3C782_at_fmr.com>,   Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com> wrote:
> In general, several temp tablespaces should be faster if they are on
> separate disks...

Do you actually use this? It would seem to require a lot of administration as you would have divide the users between the various temporary tablespaces e.g.
ALTER USER x TEMPORARY TABLESPACE tempX;

Hence there would be no automatic loading balancing. (i.e. it would not be balanced in the same that rollback segments are dynamically balanced.)

> Chris Forlano wrote:
>
> > I have about 10 tablespaces, each containing one file and averaging
> > about 50MB.
> > I have a single temporary tablespace containing one 500MB file.
> >
> > Would it be better to have separate smaller temporary tablespaces
for
> > each of
> > the other tablespaces? At what point am I abusing the temporary
> > tablespace?
> >
> > Running Oracle8.0.5 on Solaris2.6.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --
> > Chris Forlano
> > TMS Project Manager
> > Nortel Networks, Maidenhead
> > 590 4342 (01628 434 342)
> > cforlano_at_nortelnetworks.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 15 1999 - 11:20:29 CDT