Re: Trigger performance

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:52:17 -0400

Alex,

My experience is:
You are going to loose >=25% of your processing time if you have a trigger. This is usually affordable, unless the table is bombarded with inserts. But if this the case, you would not store a value derived from another in the same table, would you? You would try to keep to a minimum the volume of data in a table. Besides, there are a lot of other factors that slow down performance, network f.e.

You can avoid triggers if you insert with destination=NULL, do your inserting and then update it with decode. And it is allright to do front-end checking in order to unload the server.

Regards,
Karen Abgarian.