Re: HELP: RAID-5 Killing Performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:48:03 +0100

Switch on timed_statistics before you
do anything else. Then check v$system_event to find out where you lose most time. Also check volume and average write times for data, temp, rbs, and redo before worrying about whether you should change the configuration.

It is probably not sensible to archive direct to tape - (a) it's hard to manage changing the tapes in a timely fashion, (b) writing to tape is usually much slower than writing the redo log so you would end up tape-bound and (c) tapes are more error prone than discs.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

<937333485.18113.0.pink.d4e11496_at_news.in2home.co.uk>...