insane error?

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:29:57 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to subquery a select statement to allow me to get the Nth 10 rows of a result set (I'm using Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux RH6 using PHP3). My original query looks like this (i've removed some of it, but I can assure you this is a valid query that returns the resultset I want):

SELECT headline.headline, headline.url, headline.grabtime

         FROM headline, category, headline_category_link, section
         WHERE headline_category_link.headline = headline.id
         AND headline_category_link.category = category.id

:
:
AND category.sect = section.id ORDER BY grabtime DESC

and my new version of it, to just retrieve the first 10 rows, looks like this:

SELECT * FROM (

        SELECT headline.headline, headline.url, headline.grabtime
         FROM headline, category, headline_category_link, section
         WHERE headline_category_link.headline = headline.id
         AND headline_category_link.category = category.id

:
:
AND category.sect = section.id ORDER BY grabtime DESC )

  WHERE rownum between 1 and 10

Now, this looks OK to me, but I get this error message when trying to execute it:

ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

and I am absolutely stumped. What's wrong with the query. Is there a paranthesis missing? I can't see where. Or is there a better way to do this?

thanks,