Re: Measuring query performance - Newbie

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:06:59 +0100

gabby97_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I would like to measure the performance of a SQL statement using
> SQL/Plus. I would like to measure the time it took to execute the query
> and not the time it took for the query to display in SQL/Plus. How do I
> do that?
>
> I have tried using "SET TIMING" command, but I am confused with the
> results that I get back. I get a result that says "real 29345". What
> does that number represent? How do I format the result so it is
> displayed in mm:ss format?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Farzana

HI
in the init_$ORACLE_SID.ora set the following

user_dump_dest = /somewhere/trace

timed_statistics = true
sql_trace=true

This will enable you the trace the commands and time them. BUT you do get a 10-15% performance hit by doing this. ALso you can then use 'explain plan' to help you tune the long running SQL. I recommend you read the Oracle performance tuning manual and possibly the O'reilly Boon of same title.

Martin Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 03:06:59 CDT