Re: database is slow after 3 days

From: <jack_kesselman_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 01:04:08 GMT

In article <37dcb275.16629887_at_news.earthlink.net>,   andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote:

Thanks for the information. Our Buffer Hit ratio is fine. It looks like our "library cache hits" are low. We grow the shared pool sized but we still end up hitting performance problems. We think this is due to the fact the the SQL we use does not make use of bind variables. As we increase the SGA we really don't see any improvements in performance...only longer times before the application becomes "slow".

It would be a major undertaking to add bind variables to all the code although we are definitely working towards this

Any ideas?

> Low buffer hit-> increase db_block_buffers
> Low library cache hit-> increase shared_pool_size
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:04:49 GMT, jack_kesselman_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >I'm really interested in this issue....my question is this.... what
> >does one do if the buffer hit ratio and/or library cache hit ratio is
> >low????
> >

> >In article <37dc48c5_at_defiant.btitelecom.net>,
> > "Jeff Hunter" <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net> wrote:
> >> Without knowing specifics, I would guess that that either your
buffer
> >hit
> >> ratio is low or your library cache hit ratio is low. You should
run
> >> utlbstat/utlestat and examine the results in the report.txt file.
Run
> >> utlbstat on about day number 2 and let it run just until you shut
> >down the
> >> instance. Run utlestat before you shut down the instance. This
> >should shed
> >> some light on your problems...
> >

> >> Jeff Hunter, OCP DBA
> >> Enterprise Database Administrator
> >>
> >> wozi wrote in message

<3CF3218126D50624.BED143061FAC9BA5.40E6692494AD7D72_at_lp.airnews.net>...
> >shutdown

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

> Andrey Dmitriev eFax: (978) 383-5892 Daytime: (917) 373-5417
> AOL: NetComrade ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Sep 13 1999 - 20:04:08 CDT