insert statement using a sequencer and query

From: Larry Pettit <larry.pettit_at_ps.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:15:05 -0600

I'm trying to do an insert with the first column being a sequence value and the rest coming from another table. Is it possible and if so what is the correct syntax or do I need to use a cursor? I've already created the sequence name_id_seq.

Thanks

    insert into table_name (seq_val, name_text, code)

       values(name_id_seq.nextval,
      (select name_text, code from another_table));