Re: Deadlock issue - Financials

From: Paul Berger <pberger_at_bergersoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:34:14 -0400

It's been my experience that deadlocks usually occur when a defined transaction is too large attempting to do too much work, particularly on a busy system.

As you know, a trace file will be generated by Oracle when deadlocks occur. A lock map will manifest delimiting the two deadlocking sessions. The trick is twofold. One to identify the schema owners of the sessions in question and two, ultimately, to determine the code that's deadlocking.

If it's your own code you have some options. Use a generic error handler that all programme code utilizes. Subsequently trap such errors in said 'handler' dumping the session information when such deadlock errors manifest.

In your case, though this would involve some work. You could try to pasre the trace file somehow scanning for ora-00060 errors. When they arise engage an Oracle session trapping the Oracle session detail as mentioned.

Or since it's Oracle Application code push it back to them.

Good luck,
PB