Re: Do I need "ORDER BY"

From: Jill <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 07:02:05 -0700

Jonathan Lewis wrote in message
<936979590.23983.0.nnrp-07.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
>If you are running rule-based, yes.

I got different results on my 8.0.5 linux machine running a rule query on emp with an index on empno. It appears you don't need an order by on rule.

select /*+ rule */
 empno,ename from emp
where empno > 0

Execution Plan

   0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=HINT: RULE    1 0 TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'EMP'    2 1 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'EMP' (NON-UNIQUE)