Re: Exclusive Unix file system file write locks and Oracle and Veritas

From: Paul Rogers <paulrogers_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:03:45 GMT

Not really enough information to comment intelligently. If I assume some
things have been lost in translation then, using Veritas file system with
a small stripe width like 16 or 32K can have a positive impact on Oracle

performance in an OLTP situation. However, I want the stripe to cover multiple (5 or more) disks to get the proper round-robin, no hot spotting
effect. I am unsure of the nature of the lock contention question. It turns
out that, depending upon the load on the system, Veritas can suffer from

mutex contention and as always you can get Oracle locks tied up in knots.
I do not know if using Veritas files system will help the Oracle lock contention (read I do not think that using Veritas will help Oracle lock

contention.) Make sure that none of your OLTP transactions do full table scans though. That will severely limit the performance gains that

can be had with small stripe widths.

Paul Rogers
Sun Professional Services