Re: Debuging in Stored-Procedures?

From: Christian Curtis <cbcurtis_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:38:12 GMT

Christian,

It sounds like you want to use the dbms_pipes package.

I have written debugging pl/sql packages where the procedure to be debugged will send a message to a specified pipe, ie. "debug1" and listen for an answer on another pipe, ie. "listener1"

the debugger program will show information received from the pipe, and calls a procedure to send a message to "listener1" You only have to wait in the debugged package if you want to be able to break the package, or make it wait until you are ready to move on.

If I am to understand correctly the 2nd question. If you are running a very long procedure and wish to get pack periodic information about it's status, then pipes might serve you well there. the package will simply send a message about its status to a named pipe. A listener procedure will wait for messages sent to the pipe and do whatever you want with the status information.

Cris