Re: Async triggers ???

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:28:20 GMT

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:24:39 GMT, narenn_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Can i confine a transaction which updates a table not to wait for
>till the trigger executes AND not to fail if the trigger fails ? Kind
>of Async trigger or Isolated( from a transaction ) trigger ???

I don't think that you could make the trigger asynchronous. I do think that you could do something with dbms_pipe or dbms_aq (advanced queueing), where you send a message to some other process that does the work. As for the trigger errors, you should be able to add an error handler to the trigger that prevents any errors from being sent back up the line. Somethnig like this:

create or replace trigger ...
begin
...your code here...
exception
when others then
  null;
end;
/

Jonathan Received on Fri Sep 10 1999 - 22:28:20 CDT