Re: SQL*NET V1 / Oracle 8

From: Jesper Søndergaard <gollum_at_nospam.image.dk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:18:45 GMT

It is not possible to connect to Oracle8 with SQL*Net V1

A possible workaround is to use Oracle 7.2 as a link between the client application and Oracle8:

  1. Install Oracle8 in a new ORACLE_HOME
  2. Migrate your 7.2 database to Oracle8
  3. Create a new Oracle7.2 database
  4. For each table your application should access, create a database link in the 7.2 database that points at the table in Oracle8.
  5. Create synonyms for all remote tables

The same apply for stored objects, views, etc.

This should make the access to the Oracle8 tables transparent for the client application.

HTH,
Jesper