Re: Designer 2000

From: Joseph T <jthvedt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:03:36 GMT

If you're not going to use the Entity Relationship Diagrammer and the myriad other tools in Des2K, you're better off not using it at all. You can use something as simple as SQL*Plus to create tables.

My guess is (and this is pure speculation) that an application migrated from COBOL may not be the best candidate for Designer 2000 anyway. It may not fit the relational database model very closely. Des2K works best if you really buy in to the whole "CASE*Method" thing.

In article <7ragmc$v11$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sboucher_at_msn.com wrote:
> I am new to Oracle. I understand Designer 2000 can generate tables as
> well as a host of other things from the Entity Diagrammer. I was
> watching an Oracle developer use the ERD and it seems very time
> intensive
>
> My question is, can a person just go in and create a table, create
> triggers, etc without using generation features.
>
> Our office project includes migrating some COBOL data from a UNIX
> system into ORACLE. All we want to do is recreate the tables in
ORACLE
> to accept this data. We are not sure whether we will front end with
> VB, Vis Foxpro or use ORACLE Forms.
>
> I use SQL Server and the is no auto generation. We just go in and
> create the tables, populate with data, and front-end with VB.

Joseph Thvedt
jthvedt_at_my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 10 1999 - 15:03:36 CDT