Re: Problem with database link

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 06:21:23 GMT

In article <7r3uom$a7o$1_at_fizban.pprd.abbott.com>, "ahsanudm" <mdahsan_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>Helllo everyone..
>Version : Oracle 8.0.3 on Windows NT 4
>
>I am trying to create a private database link with the following statement
>CREATE DATABASE LINK abcd
>CONNECT TO 'username' IDENTIFIED BY 'password'
>USING 'abcd';
>
>I have a service name called 'abcd' too..but when I try to access a table
>through the database link I get a 12154 error ..i.e ORA-12154: TNS:could not
>resolve service name.
>
>However I am able to connect to this service from SQL PLUS directly.

A database link tells Oracle on your server to login to some other database, which could be on some other server, to handle the foreign part of your SQL. It's going to look for service name abcd in the TNSNAMES.ORA on your server, not on your client. I'll bet your server and client TNSNAMES.ORA files are different and only the client has an entry for service name abcd. That would explain why you can connect to abcd directly form the client.

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa