Re: general recommendations for setting block size?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:47:54 +1000

Very good point, Thomas. Same reason as large cluster sizes waste disk. If you have a database with lots and lots of very small tables and a few large ones, it is quite possible that some of the 8K block size will be wasted for the small tables. A special case, agreed. But also one that strikes quite often, unfortunately. Particularly if the database is subjected to creation and drop of small temporary tables as the application(s) executes.

Then again as I said, with technology going the way it is going I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't change soon. Currently the only thing I can see that might be really counter-productive with the 8K size is the speed of transfer in multiple access: 8K * lots of I/O transfer makes for expen$ieve overall I/O bandwidth. This will change soon.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto