Re: Running 8i and 7 on one machine

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:27:40 -0400

NetComrade wrote in message <37d7ca51.174040146_at_news.earthlink.net>...
>Hi,
>
>I know it is possible... but should I just set up a different user,
>like oracle2?

It depends on your preference. If your databases are in OFA structure, you can certainly run both versions of the software from different ORACLE_HOME directories. I have servers that are running 7.3.3.5, 7.3.4.3, 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 all together and everything works fine. The only gotcha is that you have to remember to set your environment variables correctly when trying to use a database's tools.

>SHould I use the same $ORACLE_HOME, just different $ORACLE_PRODUCT.

I personally prefer this method.

>Also, I heard you cannot install Oracle 8i remotedly?
Not true. There are two ways you can install remotely: 1. exporting your $DISPLAY variable back to your workstation 2. there is a -silent (or something) parameter that you can set that you have to pass a parmater file to in order to answer all the prompts. I have not used this method yet. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 15:27:40 CDT