connect to oracle without service name

From: <rachael_at_LakesideSoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 17:02:23 GMT

I'm using Microsoft Visual Basic and Visual C++ to make an ODBC and/or Microsoft Jet connection to an Oracle server... I'd like to do this without using a service name. For example, a normal connection string looks like:

"DRIVER=MICROSOFT ODBC FOR
ORACLE;UID=system;PWD=manager;SERVER=MyServiceName"

... where "MyServiceName" has been created in TNSNAMES.ORA as follows:

MyServiceName.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = don)
(PORT = 1521)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

However, I need to use the same connection string on multiple machines to connect to the same Oracle database. Using the service name requires that the service be created on each machine...very tedious. Is there a way to specify the information in TNSNAMES.ORA in an ODBC or Jet connection string? I know it's possible to use Oracle Name Service, but I'd like to also find a solution using a client-side TNSNAMES file.

Please respond via e-mail if possible.

Thanks!

Rachael
rachael_at_lakesidesoftware.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 12:02:23 CDT