Re: general recommendations for setting block size?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:04:52 -0400

David Sisk wrote:

> Hi:
>
> IMHO, it's hard to go wrong with 8K.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> David C. Sisk
> Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at
> http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm
> Like original modern rock? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at
> http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult
>
> Richard A Papaj wrote in message
> <7r5vnp$2hb$1_at_prometheus.acsu.buffalo.edu>...
> >I'm interested in any general recommendations for setting block size. I
> >realize that the optimal value will depend on a number of factors (e.g.
> >transactional vs. warehouse instance) and that a larger value can increase
> >performance. But how high is too high? Just wondering if anyone has
> >developed a "general" rule of thumb for initializing that value based on
> >certain characteristics of instances.
> >
> >Thanks...

Actually, it is easy to go wrong with 8K if you are really tight on space. With 7.3 and higher 2K is seldom a good choice because that size usually results in some real performance hits. 4K is a good compromise - good performance and efficient use of space. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 07:04:52 CDT