Re: Datawarehousing using Oracle8i over multiple servers

From: <bhan_at_pointcast.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 07:05:10 GMT

Thanks for you reply. What I mean by servers is actual machines. I am planning on storing terabytes of data in one single database. If you say that there is a limit, then I may just use a file system over NFS rather than storing these small files in the database.

I pretty much want to create a system where a user can store all of their files. And a database would be perfect because we would be able to have corresponding fields in the DB with information about the file. The amount of files a user can store on this database is infinite, so the tablespace must be big. Would it be smart to just give each user a tablespace for themselves?

I think using a DB that has records that point to an NFS tree would be smarter rather than storing the files in the Database.

What do you think?

Thanks.

In article <936805972.23764.0.nnrp-10.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> When you say 'servers' do you mean databases
> or do you mean machines - the term is a little
> ambiguous.
>
> Why do you want all the data in one tablespace ?
> That makes it very hard to do any sort of backup.
>
> There is a physical limit on the number of files in
> a tablespace and the number of tablespaces
> in a database , and the number of files in a database
> (ca. 65,000 in all cases) - so it might be a good
> idea to clarify the meaning of 'infinite', and the
> nature of the use.
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> bryanhan_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7r5u42$icc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >Hi,
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone knows if you can span a one tablespace over
> >multiple servers. I am trying to store files in Oracle (about 20k-
2megs
> >each) in Oracle instead of using a OS file system for storage
because I
> >need to also have searchable data fields attached to these files.
> >
> >I am going to have infinite records, so unlimited disk space is
> >necessary... but I only want to keep this data in one tablespace,
but I
> >see it getting bigger than just a bunch of SCSI disks chained
together.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 02:05:10 CDT