Re: Upgrade to Oracle 8

From: Alexander Venzke <sammuc_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:34:33 GMT

In article <37D6B993.5D0372C8_at_finit.hu>,   Feher Lajos <feherl_at_finit.hu> wrote:
> Ugh. We were happily about to stick with Oracle 7.3.4 into Year 2000,
but some politicking means that we must do a 'quick' upgrade to 8.0 (on a Sun Solaris system)

> Are there any 'catches' that we should look out for, or can it be
treated as a simple upgrade? We're not planning on using any of the new v8 functionality.

Stay on 7.3.4 - you'll need some time to evualate everything and test it befor. I've done a migration finished last week - that took me 2 month to check everything. I tried both ways - and I ran best with the export/import way.

You can speed up the Export/Import if you do several parallel exports/imports. With our 50GB datbase (oltp - stock trading) we've done this totaly in 20 hours.

Just import your tables and create the indexes with parallel degree (depending on your cpu cout) and nologging - after the creation of all your objects and everything works fine - change the parallel degree to your desired value and switch the logging on (alter index logging etc). Run an analyze after all the stuff !

If you want more information email me - and tell me how it works.

--

Alexander Venzke
sammuc_at_my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 18:34:33 CDT