Re: ODBC configuration for Oracle Database

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:56:15 GMT

In SQL Net, you type the database alias of your choice, usually specify TCP-IP for protocol, if the server is installed locally then type in localhost for host name, and database instance is ORCL by default (unless you are using some other). Then go to ODBC in (Windows Control Panel) and add a data source in either User DSN or System DSN (I like System DSN): Choose the driver, click Finish, in data source name type the database alias you chose in SQL Net, in SQL*Net connect string also type the same alias name, everything else can left blank. Click OK, then OK out of ODBC. Now you can test your connection by running SQL*Plus (in Start menu under Oracle for Windows NT). When prompt pops up, type system for user name, type manager for password, type the database alias you set up in ODBC for host string. If you get to the prompt, you are fine. Before you can actually create tables, etc. you need to create a data base and some users in that database (you don't want to create anything in system/manager's space). Creating a database is a whole different story. The documentation that comes on the Oracle CD is pretty good.

HTH.
Sergey

In article <7r64g1$nic$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   david_2exvia_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I NEED HELP!!!!
>
> I'have installed Oracle server in my computer with NT 4.0 server.
> I have to write queries with COLDFUSION in order to use an Oracle
> DATABASE.
> I have never used Oracle before, and I can't configure SQL Net to
query
> the Oracle Database through ODBC driver.
> Can someone help me ?
> I need the answer rapidly.
>
> Thank you
> David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 15:56:15 CDT