Re: IPC / Bequeath protocol

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:27:44 +0200

> How do you actually use an IPC connection? I use BEQ and TCP all the time, but
> I've never actually seen an instance where IPC is implemented.

You can configure the TNS listener to listen on BEQ, IPC, TCP, SPX, NMP (is this named pipe?), etc
So you need to specify an address in the listener.ora that uses the IPC protocol [TCP uses HOST (hostname or IP-number) and PORT (usually 1521 or 1526) as parameters]
IPC uses only KEY as parameter. The value for this parameter is used to construct a 'filename'.
This filename is used to construct a socket in the filesystem (under /tmp/.oracle if I'm correct)

If you instruct the client to use the same key then it will connect.

Btw You need an operating system that supports the AF_UNIX protocol (all unixes do support it, exept some old/strange versions). I don't know about NT or VMS for this.

    Erwin Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 15:27:44 CDT