Re: IPC / Bequeath protocol

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:53:17 +0200

> IPC

This is a socket based protocol for local communication on UNIX. This is implemented by the UNIX kernel and is also known as the AF_UNIX protocol
(TCP/IP is also implemented by the UNIX kernel and is known as the AF_INET protocol)

> BEQueath

This is a shared memory protocol implemented only by Oracle clients/servers. This is supposed to be slightly faster than IPC, because there are fewer kernel roundtrips.
But it does not show up in the usual nerworking tools like 'netstat'.

Erwin

"Daiminger, Helmut" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm kinda confused what the difference between IPC (e.g. in listener.ora)
> and bequeath protocol (e.g. in tnsnames.ora) is.
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut

Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.wxs.nl/~erwindon> Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 13:53:17 CDT