Re: Compatible must be set to 7.2.0.0.0 problem...

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:49:42 -0400

I am *guessing* that you are trying to resize a database file using syntax like:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE <foo> RESIZE...

The problem is that this feature was introduced in a particular version of Oracle7 server (I forget which one) & it *sounds* as if your version of Oracle Server is recent enough to support this operation (since it is telling you to set it to 7.2.0.0.0) but the setting of your COMPATIBLE init.ora parameter is not late enough. The default setting for COMPATIBLE is release-dependent but I have been told by Oracle Support that it is something like 7.0.12. Assuming you are running 7.2+ add a parameter "COMPATIBLE=7..." to your init.ora with a value equal to the release level you are actually running, like "7.2.1" or "7.3.2" & restart the database & try the operation again. COMPTAIBLE dictates the release level that a database actually behaves like & if the value is lower than the release you are actually running you will not be able to use features introduced after the COMPATIBLE value setting.

--

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020