Re: Compatible must be set to 7.2.0.0.0 problem...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:54:05 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:56:04 -0400, you wrote:

>Basic Question - what is point of compatible parameter? Generally it seems
>to be set to it's own version? Is this for mixed versions in distributed
>environment?
>- Dc.

it makes the database work at a certain version. For example, lets say you are at release 7.1 and would like to upgrade to 7.3. You want the chance to downgrade your database in case something doesn't work. Your best bet would be to set the compatible to 7.1, upgrade and test. If you don't like the results -- you can downgrade easily (you have ensured you didn't use any new 7.3 features yet so when you downgrade you won't have stuff in the database that logically cannot be there). Additionally -- the format of redo and other things might change from release to release so if you don't set the compatible in the above -- you won't be able to downgrade even if you didn't use some new feature -- the redo logs or something will be in a non-compatible state.

Compatible is mostly there to let you 'downgrade' after an 'upgrade'.

>Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff
>>
>> Are you running 7.2.3 or higher? If not, you can't resize datafiles.
>> If yes, the value of your compatible parameter in init<sid>.ora is still
>> 7.1.0.0 (the default) and you will need to increase it to 7.2.0.0, just as
>> the message says and bounce the database.
>> Then issue
>> alter database datafile '<filename>' resize <n> M;
>> If you don't know how to change the parameter, provide details about
>> platform
>> database version
>> SID
>>
>> Hth,
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>>
>> Jeff Brouchard, Zenith Publishing Projects <jefferson.brouchard_at_tesco.net>
>> wrote in message news:7r3j5p$c97$2_at_barcode.tesco.net...
>> > I am trying to resize tablespace files and keep getting this message. I am
>> > not a DBA and my company has no DBA. I know that this is a stupid
>> question,
>> > but how do I resize a database file?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> > J. Brouchard

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 07:54:05 CDT