Re: Upgrade to Oracle 8

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:25:38 GMT

there are 2 ways to approach this - Oracle Migration tool, or export/import. I have done it both ways, both ways have their pros and their cons. If you have a very large database, and are under a time constraint, your best choice may be the Migration tool. Otherwise, export/import seemed to work a little better/cleaner for me.

The issue that I ran into with the Migration tool was the occurrence of several Oracle internal 600 errors. I did not pursue the issue with Oracle support, but found a workaround/solution on my own. First, take all tablespaces offline except SYSTEM and RBS, then backup the system. This way, if you do encounter the errors, you only need to restore the SYSTEM and RBS datafiles. Install Oracle 8 and run the migration utility, then take a second backup. Start up the database (I think it may be in a nomount state, check the Migration doc for details) and issue alter database convert. This is where I encountered my ORA-600 errors. After the conversion errored out, I restored the SYSTEM and RBS datafiles, reissued the alter database convert command, and voila, everything was fine. Bring each tablespace online one at a time, and the headers should be converted to the Oracle 8 format. The other gotcha to watch out for is to make sure you have sufficient space in your SYSTEM tablespace, or set it to autoextend. There is a flag, I think it may be CHECK_ONLY=TRUE, which will simulate the migration but only verify that you have enough space in SYSTEM to complete it.

HTH,
Roy

In article <01bef9e4$0d73b8a0$8d4a95c1_at_default>,   "Glenn Baron" <gbaron_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Ugh. We were happily about to stick with Oracle 7.3.4 into Year 2000,
but
> some politicking means that we must do a 'quick' upgrade to 8.0 (on a
Sun
> Solaris system)
>
> Are there any 'catches' that we should look out for, or can it be
treated
> as a simple upgrade? We're not planning on using any of the new v8
> functionality.
>
> You can guess, we'd rather get advice from people who have done it
than
> rely on the documentation.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Glenn Baron

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 09:25:38 CDT