Re: INITIAL, NEXT, PCTFREE and PCTUSED

From: aj gadgil <ajgadgil_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:39:03 -0400

Phase 1
1) PCTFREE: Set to around 10% if few updates or around 40% if many updates 2) PCTUSED: Set to around 40% if many deletes or around 60% if not many deletes
3) PCTINCREASE: Almost always set to 1

Phase 2
3) Figure our how many bytes and average rows will be 4) Average row * number of rows per month * months of data you plan on storing = Total data
5) Total data * (PCTFREE/100+1) = New total data 6) New total data * (overhead/100+1) (Note: good overhead number = 10%)

This will give you how much data your table will be holding when full. This will help you choose an appropriate INITIAL and NEXT value.

AJ