Re: 100.000 $ Reward (Oracle 8 versus SQL 7)

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:43:16 -0400

Okey dokey:

Using Oracle8.1 as a reference:

  1. SELECT statements with a function applied to the WHERE clause will use an index (with no modification of syntax) if (all other parameters held constant and suitable) the index is created on the function of the column rather than the column itself. SQLServer7 can't do that.
  2. The cost-based optimizer will determine which index(es) to use or whether to do full table scans. With bitmap indexes, the CBO can do unions and intersections of the indexes to get the necessary row ID's to retrieve. SQLServer7 can't do that.
  3. Speaking of bitmap indexes, SQLServer7 doesn't have them. Only B-tree indexes are available.
  4. Oracle can automatically perform partition-elimination on partitioned tables and partitioned indexes. SQLServer7 can't do that. In fact, SQLServer7 doesn't support any form of partitioning.
  5. Oracle provides summary management, which allows a query directed at a large fact table to be transparently redirected to a much smaller summary table, completely behind the scenes with no modification in SQL syntax. SQLServer7 can't do that.
  6. (Just for good measure) Oracle recognizes dimensional models (ie. "star schemas") if they are designed correctly, and will automatically use "star join" processing algorithms rather than more traditional relational algorithms. SQLServer7 can't do that.

If you don't buy any of this, check the benchmarks on www.tpc.org and/or the documentation on technet.oracle.com.

Email me and I'll reply with the mailing address you can send the $100,000 check to. :=)

Best regards,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original modern rock? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult