Re: Q: float data type

From: Phil singer <psinger_at_livingonline.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:36:31 +0000

> >2. Is there any shortcoming in defining a column with float ?
>
> I cannot think of any reason for wanting to use a column of type float -- it
> just doesn't seem as natural as using number(n,m).

If you are going to be doing a calculation where you will be adding and subtracting some progressively smaller numbers from some progressively larger numbers and need to keep every bit of precision available (life annuities are the only thing which come to mind) then you will want to use type float.

For ordinary financial computations, they will not round the way fixed point desk calculators do, and will get you in trouble with auditors.

--

Phil Singer                     |psinger1_at_livingonline.com(home)
Oracle DBA & Webmaster          |psinger1_at_ford.com (work)

"Now with the wisdom of years, I like to reason things out. And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts"

                            ....Billy Joel