Re: Table data auditing / triggers

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:50:51 -0400

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:02:16 GMT, allandong_at_sierrasys.com (Allan Dong) wrote:

>I'm looking for suggestions as to how best to implement table data
>modification auditing. I have 100+ tables in which I would like
>capture the after record image of any insert and update on each table.
>
>I assume that I'll need to create an audit table for each data table
>and create an AFTER UPDATE OR INSERT trigger to insert the :new values
>for all columns into the corresponding audit table.
>
>I was hoping to avoid creating 100+ audit tables and corresponding
>triggers especially if Oracle already has a equivalent built-in
>feature. At the very least, I was looking for a way to avoid
>hand-coding the audit table and trigger creation.

>I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

See http://www.serve.com/cowpb/audtrail.zip for a sample application, including SQL scripts to create triggers on tables. This app, which I authored, was the subject of a chapter (13? or 11?) in the O'Reilly book, "Oracle Security" by Marlene Theriault.

Chris

Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Sandbox.com
chris_at_wallstreetsports.com