Re: Urgent Help!! Creating a new instance.

From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 21:21:54 -0700

Alicia Irvin wrote:

> I am running Oracle 8.0.5 on Digital Unix and need to create a new instance
> using Linux.
>
> Exactly how do I create the instance?
>
> All documentation I have on Instances points to the 'system specific'
> manuals which unfortunately are unavailable to me at this time.
>
> Thanks for any help given,
> Alicia.

  1. Set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to a name of your choice, say MYDB (I assume ORACLE_HOME is correctly set to the installation directory for your version of Oracle, usually something such as /usr/app/oracle/products/some_version_number)

When you run the installation script ($ORACLE_HOME/orainst/orainst) you normally have the option of creating a database, with suggested default parameters and the like. This looks a bit like 'Oracle administration for dummies', and if you want to get some practice and do it by hand here is what you should do :

2) [optional] If the HOME directory is different from ORACLE_HOME (highly recommended), create $HOME/admin/MYDB and, under this one, a few subdirectories :

   bdump, cdump, create, exp, pfile, udump ... (I am sure I am forgetiing a few).
This is known as the OFA type of installation, rather standard. 3) Go to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. You will find there a sample init.ora file. If you have executed step 2 above, copy it to $HOME/admin/MYDB/pfile/initMYDB.ora and create a (soft) link bearing the same name as the file into $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Otherwise, copy directly ini.ora to initMYDB.ora
4) Edit initMYDB.ora and set the parameter db_name to MYDB   set control_file = (some_file_1, some_file_2) (full path). Both files are usually named something.ctl and MUST be located on distinct disks. Get your inspiration for file names from SELECT NAME FROM V$CONTROLFILE on your existing database under DEC/Unix.

  If you have executed step 2, you should also set :   core_dump_dest to $HOME/admin/MYDB/cdump,   background_dump_dest to ../bdump and user_dump_dest to .../udump. In any case, the only important things to set at this stage are db_name and control_file, the rest can be set later. 5) [optional] Create directories where to create the database files, usually named /u<n>/ORACLE/MYDB. Inspiration : SELECT NAME FROM V$DATAFILE on your existing database.
You will need logfiles too - check SELECT MEMBER FROM V$LOGFILE. Change things as is, fit, note everything down. Ready ?

6) Get the SQL REFERENCE manual, open it at the CREATE DATABASE page.
7) $ svrmgrl
8) You should get the SVRMGR> prompt. Type CONNECT INTERNAL
9) If you are asked for a password, it means that you are in the wring
Unix group. Should be (normally) dba (the same as for the oracle account). Try again under the right account. 10) After you have got 'Connected' type

     startup nomount
You should get messages about memory allocated and 'Instance started'. 11) Issue the CREATE DATABASE statement. In fact these two words are enough (default values are taken for about anything) but you should specify the file for your SYSTEM tablespace (50M is a reasonable size for a start) as well as logfiles.
Set all the MAX something values to something relatively large, especially MAXDATAFILES (if this is the correct name) - 250 or around. You probably ignore all the delicate pleasures Continentals get from umlauts, (a)cute accents and the like, but if there is a time when to be careful about the CHARACTERSET parameter, here it is. 12) Et voilà.
 In fact you now have a lot of things to do :

  1. Still under svrmgrl run @$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog
  2. Create additional tablespaces (see CREATE TABLESPACE) - one for rollback segments, especially - a usual name is RBS, 50M is a minimum.
  3. create a rollback segment named RS0 in the SYSTEM tablespace (CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT RS0;). Put in on-line (ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT RS0 ONLINE;)
  4. create 4 rollback segments RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4 in RBS. Suggested STORAGE parameters : initial 100K next 100K minextents 5.
  5. shutdown your database : shutdown
  6. exit from svrmgrl, edit the initMYDB.ora file and add a line : rollback_segments = (RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4)
  7. Run svrmgrl again. type : CONNECT INTERNAL then : STARTUP It works ? That's it! now you can have fun with your database. Don't forget everything which concerns SQL*Net (listener.ora, tnsnames.ora) and to start the listener if you want to access your database from a client.

--
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation