Can skeleton tables be modified in designer

From: quinnj <quinnj_at_his.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 01:41:39 GMT

Hello,

My group is using designer 1.2 and we are in a bit of a quandry.

Some time ago we decided to save all our work so we exported it, froze the original and imported the export under a slightly different name. We then continued our work of creating modules etc, etc.

Now we find that the long ago export caused a problem (I think)

We noticed that if we made changes to tables that were "shared" into our system from other system that the changes were represented in the original system but not the system where the tables were shared into. For instance adding a new column changed the table but in our reimported scheme there was no change.

After some reading of the documentation it appears that when we did the export it did not save pointers to the shared tables but took the definitions at the time of the export and saved copies of the shared tables definitions (skeleton tables)

We could "unshare" the affected tables and then reshare the originals but we would lose work as we would cannot unshare until all links are broken. That is the modules that have these tables would need to be deleted or perhaps saved in some way.

Is there any way to get around this so that we can get our sheme (application) pointing to current tables and away from these skeletons?

Alternatively can we ever change the definition of these skeleton tables?

The share tables need some changes to that we can generate some forms.

I think from now on we will not be doing any exports of individual applications.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated

                                           thanks John

--
Onward through the fog

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Sep 06 1999 - 20:41:39 CDT