SQLJ/System class causes VM to hang.

From: Peter Hanlon <pete_at_hanlon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:27:11 -0400

I am having a problem with a Java program that runs a binary using "Process proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(sExec); " and then waits for the result using "proc.waitFor()". When this code is run and a connection to Oracle has been made, the VM hangs on the waitFor() command (The binary that is being run just outputs some stuff to stdout, it doesn't connect to Oracle).

If I remember correctly the oracle background task overrides some of the processes signal handlers which would affect the VM itself. I am assuming that this is causing the problem. The VM hangs because my external binary doesn't terminate, it becomes a defunc process and just hangs around doing nothing.

The only work around I can see it to perform all my Oracle processing in a VM that has been spawned from the original VM. When the child VM dies, the oracle task will die with it and stop causing problems. The only problem with this solution is that it's crap, I hope there is someone out there with a solution to this.

Thanks in advance

Peter Hanlon. Received on Mon Sep 06 1999 - 09:27:11 CDT