Re: oracle newbie

From: Gary E. Grant <ggrant_at_crl.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 02:01:22 -0700

The business process modeller is basically used as an analysis tool to get an understanding of the business process that the Analyst is attempting to automate.
It is not coupled to the Entity/Relation Diagrammer or Generators.

The ER diagrammer allows the programmer/analyst to enter the Entity(s) Attributes, Relationships & Usages that are used by the Generators ( Server Side or Client Side) to implement the Items in actual SQL, PLSQL, Forms, Reports, Graphics, VB code. It can also be used to generate C++ Wrapper functions for SQL Tables, Views, & Stored Procedures.

I have been using Designer/2000 ( Now Oracle Designer) for the last three years and have the "Designer/2000 System Analyst" master certificate and the "Designer/2000 Designer/Developer" master certificate from Oracle Education.

If you want to know more about the Business Process Modeller you can take a course from Oracle Education "Enterprise Modelling", for ER Diagranmer there is a course "Designer/2000 System Modelling and Tools".

sboucher_at_msn.com wrote:

> Can oracle generate its own code by plugging values into Designer or
> Forms or whatever it uses.
>
> I think I am being misinformed about the uses of Business Process
> Modelling and Entity Realtionship diagrams
>
> My take on all this is the Business Process Modeller and Entity
> Relationship diagramer is simply for documentation. My manager seems to
> think this is going to generate tables and code like a 4GL type program.
>
> Don't we still have to define the tables with fields and datatypes,
> etc, create the forms and provide actions based on certain events.
>
> I am used to SQL server and front-ending our applications with VB of
> Visual Foxpro. Our office seems to favor going to Oracle at this
> moment for a data conversion project migrating data from COBOL
> mainframe environment to client-server
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

Always glad to be of service,

Gary :-)

"There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to   conduct or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead   in the introduction of a new order of things." Received on Sun Sep 05 1999 - 04:01:22 CDT