Re: Cold backup!?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 23:13:57 +0200

No, you are not right. You will be missing out the ONLINE redo logfiles, ie the most current files.
Say you have sequence 1, 2,3,4 archived and 5,6,7,8 online. The controlfile will contain one of the sequence numbers 5,6,7,8. So if you have a crash, and you didn't backup the online redo log files, you will be forced to execute incomplete recovery and loose data. The archived files do not contain duplicates of the files online, they contain files that have been 'phased out'

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA