Re: Bug in Oracle 8.0.5 [NT 4] ?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:51:33 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Aik Khoon" <panadol_at_singnet.com.sg> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 02:10:29 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have tried to update a CLOB column in Oracle 8.0.5 with a new
>CLOB whose size is lower than the one stored. The PL/SQL procedure that does
>the job failed. However if the CLOB size is larger than the stored version,
>it works. Is this a bug ?
>
>TIA.
>Aik Khoon

could you post a testcase similar to the following (cut and pasted from sqlplus) to reproduce? This shows an update of a clob with a smaller clob succeeding.

tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD> create table clob_test ( a int, x clob );

Table created.

tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD>
tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD> insert into clob_test values ( 1, 'Hello World' );

1 row created.

tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD> insert into clob_test values ( 2, 'Hello ' );

1 row created.

tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD>
tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD> update clob_test set x = ( select x from clob_test where a = 2 ) where a = 1;

1 row updated.

tkyte_at_SLACKDOG.WORLD> select * from clob_test;

         A X

         1 Hello
         2 Hello

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Sep 04 1999 - 13:51:33 CDT