Re: Total media recovery from hotbackup

From: Julio Negueruela <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:36:25 +0200

marksmith101_at_my-deja.com escribió:
> =

> Hello,
> =

> I am new to Oracle DB admin. I have been trying to recover an
> Oracle DB from a hotbackup, but the datafile for the system keeps
> requiring extra recovery. I believe that the SCNs must be out of sync
> when the backup is preformed, but I don't know how to check the SCNs of=

> a datafile. Here is an overview of the backup procedure:
> =

> hotbackup datafiles (i.e. alter tablespace ...)
> backup control file
> force log switch
> backup archive logs
> =

> Here is an overview of the recovery procedure:
> =

> restore data and control files
> rename redo logs (assuming)
> recover the DB using control file
> open DB with resetlogs

If I'm not mistaken, you are trying to restore (not recover) the db from a hot backup as it were a cold backup, aren't you? I think the right procedure is a point-in-time-recovery, that is:

restore data files
recover database until time '<just_when_the_hotbackup_finished>'; open database with resetlogs

I hope up've performed a coldbackup before recovering db in order to restore the controlfiles and online redo logs.

Hope this help.
--
Julio Negueruela
DBA Servicio Informático

Universidad de La Rioja      -      Spain
Telf: 941-299179     Fax: 941- 299180

mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es Received on Fri Sep 03 1999 - 05:36:25 CDT