Re: HELP! QUOTED identifiers

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 20:15:25 GMT

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:29:42 -0400, "uncle.scrooge" <uncle.scrooge_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>is there a way to set an oracle server so that both of these statements
>work?
>
>insert into FOO ("X",100)
>insert into FOO ("x",100)
>
>if the table is defined as "create table FOO(X varchar2)" ?
>
>The second statement gives an "invalid column name" error.

I bet both insert statements gives you the same "invalid column name" error! In your example, your FOO table has only one column, but your inserts (kind of) try to reference two columns, and on top of that your inserts lack the VALUES clause.

I believe what you really meant was the following two inserts:

insert into FOO ("X") values (100);
insert into FOO ("x") values (100);

In this case, the second statement will raise an error you mention. And no, I don't think you can do anything at database server level to prevent this. Double quotes denote case-sensitive names, so unless you stripe the double quotes on the client side the server will interpret the above inserts as two totally different statements, of which only the first one can be satisfied.

>I'm wrestling a very large jdbc bear, and I'm looking for server side
>solutions.
>
>I need to either disable quoted identifiers (so that the quoted
>character is not "), or find a magical
>setting client or server side that will do this.
>
>Oracle 8.0.4 on HP. Client on NT 4.0. Using thin driver.

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Sep 03 1999 - 15:15:25 CDT