Re: Moving an Oracle 7 installation

From: <gollum_at_image.dk>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 18:33:27 GMT

Correction:

The database needs to be mounted, since we are modifying the contents of the controlfile, ie.

SVRMGR> connect internal
SVRMGR> startup mount
SVRMGR> alter database rename file....;

Another approach more suitable for lots of datafiles is to create a new controlfile, ie.

SVRMGR> connect internal
SVRMGR> startup mount
SVRMGR> alter database backup controlfile to trace;

find and edit the generated trace-file in user_dump_dest, so that the file locations are correct (and remember to remove the trace header), shutdown the instance and simply run the trace-file, ie.

SVRMGR> shutdown (immediate)
SVRMGR> @<trace-file>

Cheers,
Jesper

On 03-09-99, 17:59:11, Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote regarding Re: Moving an Oracle 7 installation:

> Stephan

> Oracle stores the location of the datafiles and redo logs in the
control
> file. The control file is opened at the mount stage, and the location=

of
> the files checked at the open stage. So what you need to do is this:=

> startup nomount;
> alter database rename file 'old_file_location_and_name' to
> 'new_file_location_and_name';

> for each file (check the syntax in the SQL Reference manual - I'm
typing off
> the top of my head here).

> HTH.

> Pete

> Stephan Marwedel wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to move an existing Oracle 7 installation on AIX
> > (/usr/local/oracle) from to another filesystem (/opt/oracle). What =

must
> > I change in the configuration do achive this? I changed the init.ora=

for