Re: Oracle on Linux vs NT

From: Dave Zuzga <dzuzga_at_isdinc.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:39:48 -0500

Thanks for the intelligent response Doug. I realize there are many other factors involved in the selection of a OS, but the main one I meant to address was performance of the OS.

Specifically, does one OS have a performance advantage in networking or disk io? Does one implement SMP better than another?

I really love using *NIX or it's derivatives. We were only on NT because of the price break that Oracle gives you. Now that Linux is in the same pricing category as NT, I want some evidence to switch to Linux or stay with NT.

Just to answer Doug's questions:

The database will be about 60GB in size with only one instance running on the server. The longer it can stay up without any intervention, the better it will be. It should have an average of 5 or 6 regular users, with sporadic access from a web server. It is used primarily for monthly reporting and is run in NOARCHIVELOG mode. We take cold backups whenever we load new data (usually monthly). The server will only be a database server (not multipurpose).

-Dave