Re: Retrieve N record from a large table...

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:33:04 GMT

In article <37CF5173.9B90F427_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk>,   Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
> Firstly, I would thank all the replies for my posting. I use
Thomas's
> suggestion and gain good performance. Now the time to retrieve the
record is
> shorter than before, nearly can reduce the query time by 5 times.
> In fact, my situation is not on SQL*Plus only. I am developing an
Oracle
> Forms application. I want to develop a Form which can handle all the
tables in
> Oracle database. That is, using the same Form can do the query from
all Oracle
> tables, no need to develop each Form for each table in Oracle. So I
create a
> block item A (20 records displayed) and block item B (more than 100
records
> displayed). The block item A is stored the column name, the item B is
stored the
> column value.
> This Form is only for data retrieval, but it must contain a button
to move
> Up and Down a record each time. In order to work properly, I must use
the above
> SQL statement to move up and down a record. However, the application
doesn't
> matter the reocrd retrieved order. The order of the records retrieved
is
> different each time, but it is OK. All is ensure that the button can
move Up and
> Down a record on each run. Moreover, another assumption is, during the
Forms
> running, no delete/update/insert is doing the same tables at the same
time.
> So I develop this application with the above SQL statement. I am
not sure
> whether it is the best way to do this, but now it's work. Anyone do
the similiar
> thing in Oracle Forms application? I will appreciate it if anyone
could give
> comment on that idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy

My business partner did something similar to what you are doing. But if I recall his design had the database driving the form. Your way seems to be more of the form driving the tables.

Give me a call if you need more help.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 23:33:04 CDT